Monday, November 10, 2008

Why Cricket is life

My friend had forwarded me an article from Cricinfo:
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/376791.html
Everyword is such a truth in that it reflects perfectly the state of mind of the 20-25 year olds around. It was a sensational read and a nostalgic one

I was shell shocked when Kumble announced his retirement. There was a turbulance that I could not explain to myself. I was speaking with my friends and colleagues that it felt really sad to see Kumble leave; This day when I saw Ganguly for the last time playing for India, the feelings got a lot worse. I would have cried if it wasnt for the "grown-up" cover on me. True, if it wasnt for cricket and MY generation of cricketers, the child in me would have gone. I cannot explain what I would feel when I see Dravid, my favorite cricket, go. Just the anticipation of it is terrible
Whoever said that cricket is a religion, I realize now that has not said it to make a quotable quote; but it is just ground truth. Cricket has been everything in life. Cricket on streets, cricket with soft ball, cricket with cork ball, cricket with cricket ball, cricket with a stick and plastic ball inside home, and book cricket. Probably movies came close to such a passion, but when Rajinikanth and Kamal Hassan got older, it did not matter. It would not matter if they do not act anymore as well.

I have not seen India's struggle for independence against the British. But if I can draw an analogy to Cricket, the Sachin-Sourav-Dravid-Laxman-Kumble era was that, an period of cricketing struggle to make India a strong team. Just Sachin, Dravid and Laxman are still around. But it is obvious that they are just clinging on. When they leave, India might become a dominant cricketing team we have always dreamt off all these years. But without them it is hard to cherish that dream-come-true.

India has found Dhoni to lead Indian cricket. Transitions have happened even during the Sachin-Sourav-Dravid-Laxman-Kumble days. But this, is a clear mark of a new Cricketing era. When these oldies are retiring one after the other, the child in me is slowly dying. Cricket might still be fascinating; but it is not the Cricket I have known, I have seen and I have grown with.

No comments:

Post a Comment