Saturday, August 30, 2008

Chennai Marathon - Unorganized crap

The race was about to begin at 6:30 at island grounds. I have run two half-marathons in my life but none in our own country. So was excited, really excited, to see a marathon happening and happening at such a large scale in Chennai. But this pleasant rainbow early Sunday morning was my only gain out of Chennai Marathon. Had to get to the place first, before participating. Beach road was blocked at Napier's bridge at around 5:45. Take diversion ->

We got around to the island grounds assuming the race would be from there (as it was mentioned everywhere including its website). We parked our bike there and when we came out, heard an announcement that the race started at the Secretariat! Oops, we had only some 5 minutes before the race.

We inquired if we can take the bike there and if a parking is available. We had to ask this only to a policeman as there were no volunteers around, in the parking area, and even on the stages set-up just outside the parking area. We took the policeman's word and started on our journey to the Secretariat! Take diversion ->
Not to see the finish line would be an awful feeling alright, but not to see the Start line is an awful feeling altogether on a different league
When we got the road directed by the policeman, there was another policeman blocking us. He just said, you cannot enter. I asked him, then how do I get to the Secretariat. He said, "That, I do not know!". More diversions and we ended up near Central. Another policeman said that all roads to Secretariat were blocked and no vehicles can enter! Now, I decided that I would place the bike in the same place (Island grounds) and walk. By the time I made up my mind, even the road to Island grounds was blocked! Take diversion ->

I quit and reached home. But, where were the volunteers??! I know I cannot believe policemen who might not have the correct information. But couldn't spot anyone who might direct me correctly. I agree that perfectly organizing such a grand event is a tall ask. But there should be some organizing at least, when they know the crowd will be massive.

Wycombe half marathon was my first and Silverstone was my better half (marathon) in terms of timing :) But both were in UK. I wanted Chennai to be my best. It did not happen. Not to see the finish line would be an awful feeling alright, but not to see the Start line is an awful feeling altogether on a different league. Hope those who made it to the Start line had good fun

(Some updates after I read/heard all the news: http://www.mouthshut.com/diary/djgdonou/Give-life-Chennai-Marathon-takes-away-a-life)
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:44 AM

    Hey Nike, when I heard about the chennai Half Marathon, I knew you would be going for it.
    We spoke about this earlier after our Silverstone run about how the chennai half marathon was considered by many as the "worst organised". we can understand this as the previous marathons were conducted by the sports Authority in the State. I thought this year's event was organised :-( by some private authorities and hence would be a showcase for Chennai for the outside world. Very sorry state indeed!
    But, kudos to you mate for giving it a try.Lets hope we see a difference atleast in the coming years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey machi ... Yeah, they wanted to beat Mumbai and all that in numbers ... but the quality was not there. I hate to say this, but - this is India.

    Heard Mumbai's organizing is world-class. Even African runners take part ... so thought of giving it a go. But just missed the last date to register(yesterday) :( But my friend has said it might re-open. Will have to wait and see ... might go for the full-marathon then!

    Thanks for dropping by mate ...

    Smiles,
    Vinayak @ Nike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vinayak , i've never tried these endurance contest , but kudos for your effort and spirit!i liked this -"Not to see the finish line would be an awful feeling alright, but not to see the Start line is an awful feeling altogether on a different league." keep up ur spirits and u'll have ur day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:23 AM

    Oh no Naike! That's an awful feeling, and that too when you are bound to remember and recall the UK runs fondly. Definitely the infrastructure and logistics is not the issue, but to put in Tamil 'manakkedanum'. That's exactly what we don't do back home! When Stephane and I were in UK, we heard very bad reports about the Chennai full marathon and decided that we would never attempt at that! Mumbai is organised much better as the big shots do take part, and they want to project Mumbai in league with London and New York, though way to go, still worth their attempts!
    Am really really really missing the glorious High Wycombe days Naike, with Stephane you and I practiciing, and all the rest of the gang! We might sure land up running together again, so, though this has been disappointing, keep practicing, and we shall catch up!
    It was a nice read, fun, satire and irony! Well written matey!

    @ Stephen! keep going buddy, you are the only person to keep our flame on there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Prasanna,

    :) Thanks! Yeah, spirits are even higher ... all pumped up when I get another chance

    Thanks for dropping by

    Smiles,
    Vinayak

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Varadhan,

    Yes matey ... our runs together will be there in memories forever ... I am game ... shall practice harder ... we all will make it to the London marathon sometime. Planning to do a full @ Mumbai btw ... only missed the registration :) But keeping my eyes and ears open to see if the registration re-opens (as I heard there are chances it opens again for couple of weeks)

    See you on your post!

    Smiles,
    Nike @ Vinayak

    ReplyDelete