Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Wide angle


(Normal 35mm)


(Wide angle conversion)

Got a very very cheap deal on conversion lenses for my Panasonic dmc fz50. I got a 2X telephoto + .5X wide angle with 3 filters and little accessories.

Could not resist testing the wide angle immediately. It has its obvious advantages. You can see the difference in the snaps. Wide angle covers more ... But, I was utterly disappointed at the dark rings on the edges. These are the lens rim itself. When you are capturing a beautiful landscape you wouldnt want this. And cutting out these would only mean around .7X wide angle and .5x is no use. Also, I can zoom in a little while capturing and even that would not be .5x.

Not sure if I need to do anything special to avoid the blacked out edges. Or would it be like the camera can afford only up to .7x (the original provided by panasonic is only .7x). Or is the conversion lens defective? Some expert advise comments would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

-Vinayak

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. That is vignetting for you mate...
    you can probably crop the top and bottom 1/8ths of the image so that the worst effects of vignetting will not be seen while giving the image a wider-angled effect... be sure to allow for this cropping while clicking the snap...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joe!!
    I had read about Vignetting. But never thought i would see it straight away! That too at to this extent! Also, always thought that this happens only at tele end!
    Should learn things properly :)

    I surprised myself when I tried again. I could take that snap with lesser effect of this. Good to know this does not happen always! Shall try it outdoors sometime ...

    ReplyDelete